So when @Jeokitty and I’s conversation turned from Alice in wonderland to scones & clotted cream, I instantly had a scone craving. However, trying to cut down on fat and all that (eh.. shall we ignore the cheesy lasagna post yeah?) I was reluctant to make my usual scones, which I’m not so happy with anyway…
These are made in about 20 minutes altogether, yay!
So I found this in a WW cookbook and changed it round a bit!
Fruit scones Adapted from this book (Thanks Mary)1 and 1/2 cups of flour (I used self-raising)
3/4 cup sultanas/raisins/cherries/blueberries or other fruit of your choice. 1 tablespoon demerera sugar 1 tsp baking powder 1/4 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp salt. (Unless you’re using salted butter) 1/2 cup of low-fat buttermilk (Which I didn’t have. Thus 1 cup of milk & 1tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar and leave for 15 mins til it turns to buttermilk like substance) 1 large egg 1 teaspoon of unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees . Line and grease a flat tray for your scrumptious scones
2. Combine the flour, sultanas, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Mix the egg, butter and buttermilk in a separate bowl. Give it a bit of a whisk.
4. Pour the fluid into the flour mixture. Stir until just mixed.
5. Flour a nice clean work surface and turn out your dough. Knead very lightly (Overkneading makes chewy icky scones) until it has all come together.
6. Roll out or press out lightly until about 1.5 inches thick or so. Mine didn’t rise that much so bear that in mind when rolling out! Either cut it into wedges of cut with a nice scone cutter and place nicely on your prepared tray.
7. Brush the top with any leftover buttermilk/egg mixture. Pop into the oven for about 12-15 minutes.
When they’re beautiful and golden you may remove them and marvel at the loveliness you have created.
Cool on a wire tray, if you can. Alternatively break one in half, spread with some (*warning.. non-low fat: clotted cream) or some strawberry jam and enjoy with some Irish breakfast tea.
Delicious. And reasonably guilt free!