I love this song:
Old Old fashioned by Frightened Rabbit.
On that note, I’ve been getting back to the recipes that one would come across in his/her early days growing up in the wesht. Now, living on a farm in the back arse of nowhere generally means that the only baked goods on the menu are the likes of soda bread, rock buns, and the occasional scone laden with a heart stopping amount of buther. And bacon and cabbage. That counted as baking on the ‘farm’ Saturdays. When the sheep had to be dipped or dosed or sheared or any of that shebang. So thats all that was cooked on those days.
However, the occasional church bake sale would thrust upon us cakes of a more ‘delicate’ nature. Amongst those bun cases (yes Mary, BUN CASES) that had a wee bit of chocolate with a marshmallow on top- you know the generic Irish Mammy-making-things for the bake sale thing- well amongst those we spied victoria sponges smothered in fresh cream and delightfully dusted with a dredging of icing sugar; Catherine’s coffee cake which made regular appearances at the communion or confirmation after party; even the occasional lemon drizzle cake. Well I’d heard the lemon drizzle cake recipe being thrown about the old internets lately so it was time to go back to the recipe box and find me a recipe. It had to be made. It was a Sunday. What else would you be doing on a Sunday like? Studying you say? Pah! I am a professional procrastinator, I bake! (I did actually study, I needed some baking relief from the joys of dementia facts)
Roish. So to make yourself a fanTABulous lemon drizzle cake like this here one
You will need:
- Lemons. 1 zest of lemon that is. Get an unwaxed lemon! Otherwise leave in boiling water for about 2 mins, and scrub off the wax.
- 8 oz butter (unsalted bah)
- 8oz sugar
- 8 oz self raising flour + 1 extra tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- And for the drizzle, the juice of 1 and a half lemons and 3 oz caster sugar.
Nice? Love it, 8 8 8 4, can’t go wrong
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees.
- Now. Grease and line a round cake tin. I used the one in my press. I don’t know what size it is. I am sorry. I will find out and measure it. It’s pretty standard size round tin. Like about 8-10 inches diameter.
- Ok. Cream your butter and sugar until pale and creamy and lovely.
- Beat eggs in one at a time, mix well after each one. Admire handiwork.
- Sift in the flour. Wipe up all the flour you knocked onto the floor, counter, everywhere… Stir the flour in until well blended.
- Add the lemon zest and give it another stir for good luck.
- Pop cake in oven for 35-40 minutes or until cake skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean
- Mix together the juice of 1 and a half lemons and 3 oz of sugar until smooth and gooey and lovely.
- Take out of oven but leave in tin. While still warm pour on your lemon drizzle and let sink in. Let cool in tin.
- Sin e.
Bring to a cake bake sale near you 🙂 Or just enjoy. But don’t make it on a farm Saturday or you’ll get in trouble for not being able to run after a flock of sheep like a mad eejit.